Friday, April 26, 2024

Unsubscribed to the Economist (Day 96)

After about eight years of reading, the editors on the Checks and Balances podcast last week hit the final straw for me. I'm allergic to anything that's super popular, and during my time as a subscriber the Economist went from this somewhat erudite (though not always correct) source of information to something that's being quoted by everyone. They are one of the only mostly centrist outlets available, and though I'm about as left of center as you can imagine, I found it a tolerable way to find out what other people were thinking. 

But I'm not blind, and it occurred to me that much of what I was seeing in establishment journalism that I can't stand--something that critiques both the left and the right, not on their merits, but because there is a bias toward maintaining the status quo--is exemplified by the Economist. And when I heard John, Idris, and Charlotte critiquing the New York case against Trump and his hush money to a mistress, I was done. 

Yes, it's a wonky case--but have you ever seen Trump? It occurs to me as everyone is positive that democracy itself is on the line in this election, naysaying holding a criminal insurrectionist to account for any of his crimes isn't helpful.

I've gotten some good recommendations to fill the void, but frankly, I don't miss it. Just that much more time for me and books. I mean, those things never got anything wrong...

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment