Thursday, April 11, 2024

Draft Day (Day 81)

Every writer's process is going to be different, but most of us agree that it's better to have a draft, even a messy one, for edits than a blank page of paper waiting for perfection. So some days, maybe, are Draft Days, in which it's better to have done something at all than to have done it perfectly.

I woke up at a decent time, after a decent number of hours, and maybe because I had enough sleep I came to the realization that I should finally have someone take a look at the foot that's been bothering for over a month. Don't ask what happened, by the way: I was literally minding my own business at home, standing up, and suddenly I felt a sharp pain on the top of my foot, toward the outside. I had not fallen, which is amazing because both of my ankles are shot and my hips and multifidus muscle (that's the tiny muscle that's right over your sacrum, basically). But, no, I didn't fall, so there was no reason my foot should be fractured, so I shrugged it off.

But not getting it looked at cost me a couple of weeks ago when the bottom of that same foot felt exhausted, for lack of a better term, and when that happened a second time, I called my husband to pick me up from the train station very close to home. Well, that didn't go well, and weeks later we're still dealing with the fallout. Getting my foot looked at might have prevented that.

(It might also behoove me to spend a little more money on my shoes, given how much I walk, but that's another story.)

So I made an appointment to get my foot looked at, but then I looked at my to-dos and realized that I could just barely squeeze in the phone calls to other states' reps to free up money for Ukraine (side note: Castro in Texas' staff isn't as nice as Pocan's in Wisconsin). Then just as I was getting ready to start cleaning up--as I mentioned yesterday, I *really* needed to clean up--a friend posted information about another set of phone calls and emails the librarian union at the Boston Public Library needed. Well, obviously, I had to get to that, but then it was a rush to clean up (even by my standards). Upshot was that not all the dishes got washed--but some of them did.

I got my foot examined, and the nurse practitioner was mystified but suggested physical therapy. She also sent me to get an x-ray. (No clue what the results are yet.) Then I walked down the street to finally get that vegan ice cream and meet my husband, and twenty minutes later I kicked myself for forgetting how not great that vegan ice cream was.

I didn't have much time between when I got home and when two webinars were going to start, but, somehow, I got in both my drafting and finished the dishes. (This may or may not have been helped by the fact that one of those webinars was subpar.)

I did nothing perfectly, and I didn't do everything I wanted to, but I did most of the most I wanted to do. Maybe tomorrow will be an Edit Day, but at least I have the draft to start with.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment