Sunday, April 21, 2024

Trees and Environmental Injustice in Massachusetts (Day 91)

My husband and I participated in a Zoom webinar called Why Trees Matter for Green Development. I want to say it was fantastic, but I'm outraged.

The scientific grounding--which should be accepted information at this point, but no--was thorough and thoughtful, and I've got a name to add to my list. But the three case studies were horrifying. Two of them were in Boston proper, and one of them practically right down the street from me. For all of Boston's posturing about working with neighborhoods to deliver smart reform--for all of Massachusetts' departments touting their environmental record--you still have the state shrugging about removing four acres of wood from a predominantly Black neighborhood and shrugging when that neighborhood appeals for a review. 

What really got me was seeing footage from the "cranberry" industry that were allegedly deforested to create bogs but were really valued for their sand. The pictures made me think of West Virginia after a mountain had been blasted.

I'm reeling, but it inspires me to action, not my bed.

Don't know how I'm going to get involved, only that I will.

Deb in the City 

No comments:

Post a Comment