Friday, April 12, 2024

20 calls for democracy (Day 82)

...but that is all.

I'm not superstitious--I'm really not--but I frequently feel that when I make plans and try very, very hard to stick to them, it always comes back at me.

Today was the first day that I could make voter turn out phone calls. I can't stress enough how important this is--not just to me, but in general. So much so that I drafted my husband and my son to join me. My son agreed as long as I got him fast food. I did not think this would be a problem, so I agreed.

I sat through the pep talk, the training, and made my twenty calls. By the second I realized how humbling this was going to be, but I did it anyway. And I'll do it again until I get to 1000 calls. Because it's worth a little discomfort on my part to get people out to vote.

We ordered the fast food for my son. This shouldn't have been a problem, but over two hours later, we were still waiting. My husband canceled the order, and I'm silently thinking this is what we get for ordering through that stupid server I won't give any virtual ink to. In the middle of that, his computer stopped working. Yes, obviously he's using Windows, but still. He was frustrated, so I thought it was a good time for me to drive over to the fast food place and pick up the food. I think I was back within 35 minutes. Lesson learned.

My husband's computer still hadn't turned on by the time I returned from buying groceries, so I said I'd take a look before he had to drop off the computer tomorrow and be told that he'd need to wait three days for someone to look at it and tell him he needed to wait five more days to get it back. He turned it on--it worked. He's reinstalling the operating system now, so it's entirely possible it will fail again. As I said, Windows. 

Well, my son is fed, my husband's computer may not be dead, and I still need to transcribe at least a little bit, but no way will I get to 1000 words today. Okay, fine, that's the way it goes sometimes. But I will eventually, just like I'll get to those 1000 calls.

But maybe we'll find a different source of fast food next time.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment