Monday, April 29, 2024

Foreverism (Day 99)

The Tech Won't Save Us podcast was one of the recommendations I got to replace The Economist. I've listened to two episodes, including this one on Foreverism. Good news: Foreverism might be the cure for nostalgia; bad news: it just might shrink wrap you as well as our culture.

Please give the episode a listen. I can't describe all of it right now, but think endless Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and, oh yeah, Marvel franchises. (I was motivated to write about it when I saw that they are doing a remake of The Fall Guy. WHAT? WHY??)

It struck me today when I was listening to it with my husband for the second time that the impulse to do this is related to the compulsion to collect. Perhaps a dozen different films and series continuations of an "intellectual property" is the next evolution in the cards and action figures, only now the fans can more fully immerse in it. 

Maybe. All I know is that it made me feel better about almost never wanting to read the same title twice.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment