Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Going out with a bang (Day 100)

I'm going to do a wrap up sometime this week (but not tomorrow), but it's fitting that the last day of my experiment was so jam-packed. The universe wanted to make sure I had a lot of material for today, right?

Today was my son's last day of class, which was a critique of his work by grad students from a nearby university. I had two video calls today, and my husband suggested that I stay home, but since my son seemed like he could use the confidence boost, I came along. Plus... I wanted one final day to be in that part of Boston.

My husband and I walked into the hub of the state government area, and an hour later I phoned into the first phone call. I did try going inside a Fed Ex office, but I wanted more privacy, which, obviously, was more plentiful outside (no, really). I paced around a small pocket park for forty minutes but, miraculously, was able to stay connected through the call.

That done, we walked back through the North End to my son's school, and I got on the second call while my husband got some pizza and treats. This call was harder to stay connected to, either because there was more network traffic or because my Gs were exhausted (or a combination of the two); regardless, walking under any kind of awning was a recipe for disaster. So of course my turn came when my husband and I were within throwing distance of the school, and I had to stop in my tracks for five minutes in something of a chill. But, finally, that was done as well, and back we went to the school. I tried to stay connected for a few more minutes, but since I didn't want to blast my call--and I can't abide by any kind of ear- or headphone--I hopped off. 

My son was out a few minutes later, and he reported that he got a very good critique over all. Now off to the real event--the barbecue restaurant we had promised him for his last day of class. Home to change, then out again to get one of my nieces, then uptown to pick up my daughter at the library, then off to the restaurant. I obviously dreaded this choice initially, but the one thing they had on the menu that accommodated me was delicious. Who knew a barbecue place was going to do such a good job with a salad?

We dropped my niece off, then my husband and son picked up two cakes while my daughter and I waited in the car. We were just minding our own business, trying to listen to music, when she noticed a man in another car staring at her. I turned around, and when I caught the guy's eye, he smiled. I... smiled back, and even waved, and then miraculously he stopped staring. He also drove off a minute later. Thank god, too, because I was so sleep-deprived that I wouldn't have finessed a conversation with him, I would have just ordered him to stop staring at my poor daughter who's been subjected to this kind of thing since she was eleven. (She told me less than an hour later that a drama teacher once told her that she would make a great Bond girl--when she was fourteen. However we want to improve things, ending the sexualization of children is a must.)

Home now, and the teenager who very much wanted a cake to mark the day is asleep. Well, so it goes.

This was a very good day and very good way to end my 100 days.

Deb in the City


No comments:

Post a Comment