Wednesday, April 17, 2024

I am not a psychic computer program (Day 87)

I talked before about how I used my library website to set up reading lists for the year so I wouldn't be overwhelmed by all of the things I wanted to read. I was so proud of myself for doing that because I could take the pressure off of myself to read *everything* and finally get to the things that had been on my list for a few years.

Well, this month I got to a book I'd been wanting to read since it came out last year, and it took my less than ten pages to realize that I didn't want to read it anymore.

I told an online group I'm in about and added that I felt like I'd already read the book. Someone went to check the description and then said they felt like *they* had already read it. I read my husband a passage that screamed foreshadowing, and he agreed with what I saw foreshadowed. He also agreed that, indeed, we'd already the story, a couple of times over. 

I looked at the description of another library book I had out. Er, I'd read that one, too. Then I looked at two more items on my book list that were all too familiar. 

Needless to say, I have fewer books to read this year than I'd thought I would...although I have seen a few more newer releases and/or books on newer ideas that have caught my fancy.

I don't want people to think that I can't make plans. If a friend or family member gets on my schedule, I keep that appointment. I can plan out novels and see them to completion (and I have). I can budget--one of the most mind-wrecking plans of all. Big picture I can commit to; what I don't want to lock myself into are the little details, like what I might order when I meet a friend at a restaurant, or exactly how much I'm going to spend in each category of spending. When I plan, I need to give my future self flexibility, because, sadly, I'm not psychic. Similarly, when I'm in the thick of daily activities, I need to use my past self as a guide, not a set of programming instructions, because, fortunately, I'm not a computer program.

I'm sorry I couldn't support those others--and that's another post in and of itself, because the problem is the editors and publishers, not the authors--but I've got too much to do right now to saddle myself to what I used to think I should do.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment