Saturday, February 24, 2024

Repeats and Redux (Day 34)

Today I watched an episode of the 60s series The Prisoner with my husband and a friend and later the first episode of the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender. I generally resist repeats and revisions, but it's fun to see something old through a friend's eyes, and my husband really watched to watch ATLA.

It was okay, though opening with genocide might be off-putting to someone who isn't familiar with the story. The acting could use some work--as in the animated original, Sokka and Zuko steal the show--but I'm not going to be too picky about *children*.

As for The Prisoner, it's hard not to chuckle when Number Six repeatedly asks after Number One and continues to assert that he is a person and not a number. Of course you are, you adorable nonconformist. The episode we watched, Dance of the Dead, reminded me of the pantomime I felt pulled into when I went to lobby a few days ago: the parade the Villagers traveled in was a small circle, and the dance required small, mincing steps that didn't allow you to move out of bounds. Sounds like every parade and choreographed group dance I've ever seen, as well as every election cycle, local, state, and federal.

Excuse me while I watch some original programming about South Korean divorce attorney who challenges the system while, ultimately, leaving it unchanged. (Irony intended.)

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment