Thursday, February 15, 2024

Lift Our Kids Lobbying (Day 25)

My plans were derailed today when I was reminded that the Lift Our Kids Coalition had scheduled a lobbying day at the state house for today. I did not want to go--it's cold, I never feel I'm dressed right for anything, I wanted to read--but then I remembered that people in this prosperous state are food insecure, cold, and live in unstable housing, so changed my sweater, put on a coat, and went to the state house.

I complained to someone that the whole process of lobbying is a pre-scripted pantomime. And it is. I felt just a little better when the lead legislative sponsor, State Senator Sal DiDomenico, said pretty much the same thing, and acknowledged the injustice of having to do this in order to secure food and safety for the most vulnerable among us. But here we are, so there I went.

 

I went around with two other people, then another two toward the end, visiting the offices of 23 state representatives. We did not meet with any reps, and only half the time did we find any staff people. But that was fine; we were able to have good conversations with half the staff members, many of whom seemed informed and sympathetic. The big ask wasn't just to support it, but to make it one of the top five budget priorities for 2025 when they speak to the Ways and Means Committee. Here's hoping they can get the message to their representatives.

There's a bunch of different asks, but I think one fact makes it clear why this needs to be included in the budget: the request for an increase in the amount of cash the poorest of the poor receive will not even bring them into "deep poverty". Deep poverty, which is an income of half of the federal poverty threshold, would be a monthly income of about $2100 for a family of three. The grants that family receives now in Massachusetts is $783. If the legislature does raise this by the twenty percent the coalition is asking for, the new amount will be less than $940, still over $100 per month UNDER deep poverty. 

Let me remind you: I am talking about the state of Massachusetts, home to Harvard, MIT, some of the best hospitals in the world, and a thriving tourism sector. We can do better.

Don't worry, being poor isn't going to be any easier. Just as Governor Healey cut the increased cash assistance this fiscal year, it's highly likely that she, like Baker before her, will cut this increase even if it passes, and that will be another fight. But that will be another fight worth having--and worth leaving the comfort of my home--because no one anywhere, but especially here, should suffer that way. 

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment