Sunday, February 11, 2024

Power spots (Day 21)

As sleep deprived as I was yesterday, I was determined to go for a walk. I made tea--an emergency measure--and waited for my husband to get home from the gym. (Why he wanted to go for a long walk after he worked out can only be chalked up to how much he loves me.) 

We took the Orange Line to the Mass Ave stop, walked to the Charles (after a detour on Newbury Street), walked along it to Beacon Hill, walked down Cambridge Street to Government Center, crossed into Haymarket and the edge of the North End, then walked to Long Wharf. We walked along Atlantic until we got to Essex, which is one of the borders of Chinatown, and followed Essex as it turned into Boylston and walked into Back Bay.

The pond in my area just doesn't compare to the Harbor

When I think of Boston, this is what I think of
 

The energy of the city changed once we were in Back Bay, and not in the good way. It felt more stagnant. We ended up at the Prudential Center to walk to the train station, and wow, was it packed. Weirdly so; almost as if people didn't have anywhere else to go. I was grateful to finally get back to my sleepier part of Boston after a slow train ride.

Should I avoid Back Bay during the weekends? Maybe, now that I don't have to take a child there anymore. But I can't avoid that part of the city entirely, because much as I recoil from what it's becoming, I do get a buzz in certain parts of it.

Does anything show your love of a city more than whining about it?

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment