Saturday, February 10, 2024

Alternative universes are overrated (Day 20)

My husband and I finished The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin last night. He lived in NYC longer than I did, so his feelings are a little different,  but I loved it. It read like a love letter to cities, period. It also drew on the idea of alternate universes, which is maybe why they're on the brain now.

There is an alternate universe, for example, in which I got enough sleep last night, and because of that I can take one of my signature long walks. I'm also able to make good choices, in that other reality, in which I stay away from tea because it ends up bothering my stomach, instead of gravitating toward it because of the caffeine. 

Sounds like a nice place, at least for today. But in that alternate reality, I wasn't the person not one but two young adult children wanted to call when they were concerned or upset, in the middle of the night. Yes, maybe I do sleep better there, but I suspect I'm not as much of a source of comfort.

So I'll take it here, sip some tea, maybe be able to power through a walk after all, and check in on my children. It's not so bad here.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment