Thursday, March 21, 2024

Not sure if I feel better now (Day 60)

In light of the exchange I had yesterday, and a brief interaction with someone online, I decided to take a look at the Southern Poverty Law Center to see if I could grab some statistics. Well, I can, somewhere, but I got derailed while searching by, well, some loser who heads a not-at-all crazy neo-nazi organization (I don't want to name either of them because I don't want to show up in a search; also, these guys don't deserve proper case) advocating the sexual assault of women--white women--as "war brides" who can't be trusted to choose how to use their own reproductive systems.

I've lived through trauma, but my triggers are random and personal; I'm not someone who can't read about terrible things, and in some ways I think it's my responsibility. But the article above is deeply disturbing, so please be warned. And so is the whole site--because they are talking about deeply disturbing things.

I listen to Gaslit Nation, and I know people have accused them of being conspiracy theorists. The Southern Poverty Law Center is a widely respected organization, and believe me when I tell you that they come to the same conclusions. Or rather, don't believe me, go take a look for yourselves. If anything, Gaslit Nation sees more of a use for Twitter or whatever the hell it's called now; after reading just a little of this, I don't want to look at even references to tweets again, but Elon Musk is pure evil. Shame on the mainstream press, especially the business press, for legitimizing him. 

As hard as it is for me to read their analysis, I understand that the people who write for them have to monitor horrific people and spaces. I hope they rotate out of those jobs regularly, because that might rot their souls.

I'll be reading more of the Southern Poverty Law Center going forward. As I said, it's my duty. It won't make me feel better, but as a consolation, I won't feel as awkward when I have to clap back at people for off-handed bigotry.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment