Saturday, March 2, 2024

My part of town this weekend (Day 41)

I can't decide whether it's a sign of getting older or density reaching a breaking point that this weekend finds me lingering in my part of town as opposed to looking for trouble and adventure downtown (or uptown); probably more than a little of both. I usually feel a rush of nostalgia and curiosity on the weekends and want to walk through places I've spent time in since, well, the 1970s, but between the dysfunction of public transportation and the lack of options for me when I want something to eat or drink (oat milk hot chocolates are wearying after a while, and the going rate for smoothies is about $9.50), I decided it wasn't worth the trip. There is somewhere I can park for a very affordable rate, but it's busy enough on Saturday that it feels like more trouble than it's worth.

So, close to home it was, and truth be told, everyone in Boston should be so lucky. My husband and I walked through one of our world-renowned green spaces on our way to grab (ahem) some hot chocolate. We lingered over our beverages as we discussed current events. (For some reason, this took a while. I don't know; there might be a couple of things going on right now.) We would have gone to the very small and relatively new cafe, but they were packed; if they need our business, they don't need it on a Saturday morning. We ended up instead in the flagship store of a local ice cream chain that also offers coffee. 

We took a walk to kill some time, then bought our son some donuts (no, I can't eat them, but that's okay). When it was finally noon, we stopped into the farmer's market to get some greens (and strawberries!) before making a quick stop into the library and then, finally, the local bookstore I've been wanting to visit for a month. And today I did something I almost never do: I bought new books.

I've only been waiting to read these for two years

I even got to visit the bodega on the way home to grab some plantains (IMPORTANT), so in all, I don't have much to complain about. And yet...this *is* Boston, which means that the parts of the area that were all the rage for about a decade are empty in spots. The little chocolate shop and the very good Dominican place have been gone for a year; the Lebanese place that made delicious falafel left last month. The 7-Eleven that was in that part of town for decades shuttered over three years ago and nothing has looked close to replacing it. There are other storefronts, and many of them are busy, but having seen what's been happening to the other parts of Boston for fifteen years, it makes me queasy. 

However, the quieter part of the main street that used to be residential with a few reluctant stores is slowly filling in. There's the bodega, the bookstore, the little allergy-friendly cafe that sells records (and plants), two cafes across the street that have very good vegan and gluten-free options, and stalwart, funky salons and thrift shop. There is still some iffyness, particularly the retail area of the newly built apartment buildings, but overall, it looks like that's the bright spot. Maybe next Saturday will find me spending my morning there.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment