Monday, February 12, 2024

Wanderings in Brookline (Day 22)

As I said, I feel a need to connect to certain places frequently. I'm a little saddened that heavy snow tomorrow is going to prevent me from my walk around the North End (but then I think about the projected snowfall, and no, really, it's fine, the North End will be there next Tuesday). But there are some spaces I like to visit to reconnect with, but not as often.

My husband had an appointment in the medical area today. I got excited and asked him to take me with him so I could walk into Brookline from there. I haven't been to Brookline in a while, but it was a place I used to go to twice a week when my children were in Hebrew School. (I know, I should call it Religious School, but the idea was sold to me as Hebrew School, and some habits persist.) I spent hours upon hours walking down Harvard, Beacon, and Longwood. There were some charms--it's a popular place to live for a reason--but by the summer of 2022, Harvard Ave was beginning to be infested with the usual upwardly urban suspects: a Tatte, overly large housing developments, and, of course, phone stores. I hadn't been in a while, and it was okay. However, I did find myself craving some dried beans (no, seriously) from one of the newer shops on Harvard Street, and I found myself walking the same routes I walked for a decade.

My husband's appointment took less than an hour. In that time, I was able to walk to Harvard Street and back, getting my dried bean (and honey), and then picking up some treats at the Japanese cafe for the remaining child at home. Are donuts and carbonated juice healthy? No, but it's better than the fast food he asked for. Plus he loves the rice balls, and it's nice to give someone a little thrill. I'll have to go back there sometime as it looks like they've expanded the seating area.

The Brookline Booksmith, which has been there since before I was born, has expanded a little bit since I last visited. That may or may not make up for the Taco Bell across the street, but it doesn't do much to ameliorate the vacancies on the first two blocks, including a corner CVS. Whatever rot is infecting Boston has also made it to Brookline.

It was nice to visit, but that's enough for now. My son likes the rice balls, so maybe that's my excuse to go back in about a month. Then again, some things aren't good for you in large measure.

Deb in the City


No comments:

Post a Comment