Friday, February 9, 2024

Books, again, for the win (Day 19)

There's a bunch of things I suddenly find myself not wanting to spend time on right now: newsletters that people, while well-meaning, aren't qualified to write (yes, of course, anyone can write about anything they want, but when it's quasi-medical advice, that should be left to people with trainings), webinars, news wrap-ups...even *gas* possibly the Economist daily briefings. (Is that wrong?) 

I enjoy reading, and I think I have a responsibility to keep up with events, but as I find myself digging harder into books, I find myself, once again, less impressed with more digestible bits of information. This isn't about me being better than the news; it's about context. And no, I'm not talking about the talking heads everyone rightfully rolls their eyes at. Some things--many things--really are complex, and they require a lot of background. More and more, I find myself reading the news and feeling cheated. I want more, but I'm not going to get it from the news outlets.

I worry that I'm possibly making my universe just a little smaller, but I'm using that time wisely, learning new things and completing some projects. That, probably, is more important than the Daily Briefings (right?!).

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment