Monday, February 19, 2024

Turnip gratin (Day 29--no, really)

In addition to finishing Flowers of Fire, I also did a bunch of batch cooking. I indulge myself with a bi-weekly CSA box (small) for all of $36, and since I hate food waste, I make sure I use everything I get. That meant not only carrot cake muffins last period, but also radish and carrot shredded pickles. 

This box included the dreaded turnip. I did not grow up eating these, and my husband wasn't willing to put it in the soup he makes. So I crossed my fingers and came up with a vegan gratin--and it was so good!

Recipe: take a handful of cashews, slice a bit of lemon (seeds, skin, and all), put in a couple of garlic cloves, a slice of onion, something like 3 tablespoons of yeast, plus a little salt and however much liquid you need into your blender and blend until you have a cream. Pour over sliced turnip in a baking pan, then bake! I went 400 degrees for 40 minutes,  your oven may be different. Then try not to devour all in one sitting.


Enjoy!

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment