Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Out and about

When I started blogging, my youngest were almost two. They are now 19, and one has finished his associate's degree and is off to the flagship state school on Monday (*sigh*) and the other is finishing his final class at community college before he transfers to art school. Today was the first day of class, and I rode in with him to class.

Had a surprise run-in with one of my neighbors and had a lovely chat with her (the annoyed guy next to me can screw). Got my son a pastry and drink, then discovered that the nearby library wasn't open for another two hours. Good excuse for a walk through Charlestown and the North End. 


While transiting, chatted with the traffic cop (there is always construction in Boston, but rarely assistance for pedestrians). After discovering that we both lived in the same part of Boston, at least at one point, had a bit of gallows humor about still living in a capitalistic country for the next six months, then all bets are off. It's funny because it's true!

Had a laugh as I crossed into the North End and saw the restaurant window below. My husband has been duly warned. 

Still too early for the libraries in this part of town to be open, so I'm parked at a cafe, ready to get down to business. (Lest anyone accuse me of being bourgeois, please see above about intended plan for libraries.)

(Wow, this was a lot of photos today!)

In other news, looking at some of the Christmas art on Ann Wood's site inspired me to start thinking about Pesach/Passover and Chanukah. What do those holidays mean? What do those rituals mean? As someone who creates--do I dare to call myself an artist?--I think about limitations quite a bit. Like many people, I find they provide focus, and in many cases freedom. Occurred to me as I was pondering these holidays that for some things the limitations are the definition. That's not always a bad thing, but perhaps it speaks to why we need to ponder what those limitations are constantly, and redefine them as necessary. 

Speaking of limitations, time is the one which presses hardest today, so off to read some history and play with more differential equations. Until next time,

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment