Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Vegetables and activity make me happy

Sometimes I find myself underwhelmed by my online activity. I suspect I am not alone. As I sat back wondering there was a better website or platform I should look at, about different subjects than I normally do, I more and more felt like I just didn't want to be online right then. (There is a connection to be made about Socrates' unexamined life quote, but I'll let someone else make it.) I realized what I really wanted to do was move furniture around. I suspect not as many people get those urges, but I could be wrong.

My husband asked me not to do it right then as he was in the middle of something...so you'd better believe that as soon as I'd had breakfast this morning I hopped to it. There were books and other papers moving between two bookshelves, and one bookshelf moving into another room. There was also a lot of dust, as well as some pleasant surprises and depressing discoveries. (Did I mention that the reason I love Marie Kondo's tidying so much is because it gives me permission to get rid of "gifts" I don't want? Although perhaps not enough today.) It was a fun little diversion, but what it really drove home is that I have too many books and pieces of paper, in spite of my best efforts.

...Which is maybe why the "shopping" I enjoy best is for food, the ultimate disposable commodity. But I don't love Whole Foods, at all, for all of the reasons I've gone over, yet I find myself there for convenience more often than I want to. I'm happy to do more of my shopping at my local markets, and I'm fortunate to have choices, but I'd also like to support local farmers. Unfortunately, the farmers market near me isn't always convenient, and the one I used to love in Copley is even less so. 

But the world has changed in the last decade, so I'm able to order from a farm in Massachusetts when I also order the milk and dairy that my family eats (and which they'll be eating much less of after the next month). The timing of the order can be fiddly, but somehow I was able to work it out for this week and tada. 

 

Summer's bounty


Lousy lighting as usual, but that's melon, pepper, eggplant, radishes, beets, peaches(!), kale, zucchini, and green beans. I have plans--I have enough onions and garlic to make soufico happen, and if I cook the peaches down my husband can enjoy them, too--but I'm willing to let all of that go if my sons want to go to town on the kale and string beans. (And I'm happy to let them eat all of the melon...okay, maybe happy is the wrong word, but I'll let them.) 

All in all, this is a really good Monday--and I know no one hears that a lot.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment