Thursday, August 8, 2024

Breathing room in time for an adventure

My sons left for South Korea (along with one of their older sisters) last Saturday and won't be coming back until Tuesday. You'd think I'd have taken the time to kick back, but of course not. I took the time to scrub the kitchen--that was a lot of moving stuff around--as well as clean their room. Oh my god. You don't even know. Imagine a dorm room that needs to be maintained every week but instead gets serviced every quarter. If you're lucky.

There was a lot of dust, some new sheets, pillows, and drapes, and my "suggested" donation pile. They are never buying clothes again unless they've gotten rid of something first (the same goes for their father and kitchen gadgets), and until they've proven that they can take care of their things. There's a lot that's squeezed into their bedroom, and I appreciate that it's tough to keep things orderly. But since 1) the computers and long desks were their demand and 2) they picked out and in some cases demanded their own clothing, yeah, they can manage laundry and vacuuming once a week.

In other news, I'm done with the lobbying I was in charge of this year for a climate volunteer organization I'm with. Hurray. We had two meetings, and one definitely went better than the other. Lesson learned--maybe. Some things were out of our control, and that of the national organization who led the effort. But the important thing is that it's done, and thank goodness, because I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I had to deal with an unpleasant exchange yesterday and it pretty much sucked the life out of me for a few hours.

I've done my job, at least for today. My husband, sadly, is out of the house, but I think it's time for me to have an adventure. Downtown Boston, here I come.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment