Tuesday, May 28, 2024

A wedding

This weekend my oldest daughter got married. If I can find one of the "detail" shots, I'll post that, but not of people. It was a small affair (as weddings go) that my daughter and her new husband (!) worked very hard on, and they were a beautiful couple.

My new son-in-law (!!!) had family members and friends, while my daughter had mostly family. This is actually fair: her three siblings and four cousins came, as did three out of four grandparents and four aunts, plus two uncles and a significant other. Oh yeah, and her parents. That is seriously about half the guest list. Both of them were surrounded by love.

It was a lovely affair, and the young couple was extremely thoughtful. But it also made me think that I'm probably over my fantasy about my "missed" wedding. No, I do not wish I wore a beautiful gown, and no, I do not wish I had had wedding cake. I have worn enough dresses and eaten enough cake. I'm good. So good, in fact, that I told my children, nieces, and nephew (and two single sisters) that the next wedding will be sneakers and jeans/sweatpants/yoga pants. That, plus the men will wear as much make up as the women.  

I'm very happy with my (?) new in-laws, particularly my son-in-law's mother (there are words for that role in Korean and Yiddish, but I don't think we've got one in English). I look forward to hanging out with all of them more.

Weddings are just the opening act. It is of course marriage that is the main event, and that's all part of a building block of family. The world is pretty frightening right now, but this event was a good reminder that good things are still possible.

Deb in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment